The Deaf Society purchased 22 Moseley Street, Strathfield in 1951 and opened the first Home for the Aged Deaf there in 1952. The aged care facility was later named ‘Alfred Lonsdale House’ in recognition of Alfred Lonsdale’s contribution to the Deaf Community.
At the time of its opening, Alfred Lonsdale House accommodated 25 – 30 elderly deaf people or ‘Seniors’. The Deaf Men’s Bowling Club, established in 1957, played regularly on the green (formerly tennis courts) in the grounds of Alfred Lonsdale House.
In May, 1979 the facility at Strathfield was closed and residents moved to a new Nursing Home, adjacent to the Stanmore Deaf Centre. The new Nursing Home was called simply ‘Lonsdale House’ in recognition of both Alfred Lonsdale and his brother E.J. Lonsdale. The new building at Stanmore had the advantage of having a recreation area within the grounds of the Home. The bowling green brought particular pleasure to the residents, who played there twice a week.
In 1995, with the sale of the Stanmore Deaf Centre complex, the residents of Lonsdale House were transferred to Mullauna Lodge, an aged care facility in Blacktown that came to cater for both deaf and hearing Seniors. The original Alfred Lonsdale House building in Strathfield is still standing.
Silent Messenger October-November 1951
Silent Messenger May-June 1952
Annual Reports DSNSW 1951 and 1952
Annual Report DSNSW 1966