contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

           

123 Street Avenue, City Town, 99999

(123) 555-6789

email@address.com

 

You can set your address, phone number, email and site description in the settings tab.
Link to read me page with more information.

Charles Richards

Charles Howell Richards was born deaf in Queanbeyan, NSW in 1887. He attended the NSW Institution for the Deaf, Dumb and the Blind in Darlington from 1895 to 1903. After school, he joined the firm of Sydney’s leading cartographer, H.E.C. Robinson (who drew much of the original Sydney street directory today known as Gregorys) as an apprentice draughtsman.

In 1962 he retired after 60 years with H.E.C. Robinson. It was said that his deafness enabled him to do his job with maximum concentration. He was responsible for drawing the first maps of the Blue Mountains Shire.  In 1961, he was pictured in the Sydney newspaper upon reaching 58 years service with H.E.C. Robinson.

He was involved with the Deaf community from the time he left school, becoming a committee member of the NSW Deaf Association, then at the Adult Deaf Institute in Darlington in the early 1900s. From the mid-1920s to 1937 he served the Deaf Society as a member of the Council as well as doing many lettering jobs and descriptions of their photographic mountings. He served as the Hon. Treasurer of the Deaf General Committee from 1927 to 1937. He also conducted many Church Services in the Helen Keller Chapel.

In 1939, Charles Richards became a Life Member of the Deaf Society for his years of contributions to the Deaf Community. He died in 1970 at the age of 82.

 

22 Charles Richards.jpg

Charles Richards

Charles Howell Richards was born in Queanbeyan, NSW in 1887. He was born deaf as a result of rubella and attended the NSW Institution for the Deaf, Dumb and the Blind in Darlington from 1895 to 1903. After school he joined the firm of Sydney’s leading cartographer, H.E.C. Robinson (who drew much of the original Sydney street directory today known as Gregory’s) as an apprentice draughtsman.

In 1962 he retired after 60 years as a draughtsman with H.E.C. Robinson, Map Publishers. He was never out of work, even during the Great Depression of the 1930s. It was said that his deafness enabled him to do his job with maximum concentration. He was responsible for drawing the first maps of the Blue Mountains Shire. In 1961, he was pictured in a Sydney newspaper upon reaching 58 years service with H.E.C. Robinson.

Charles Richards was involved with the Deaf community from the time he left school, becoming a committee member of the Adult Deaf Mute Association, then at the Adult Deaf Institute in Darlington in the early 1900s. From the mid-1920s to 1937 he served the Deaf Society as a member of its Council, and did many lettering jobs and descriptions of their photographic mountings. He served as the Hon. Treasurer of the Deaf General Committee from 1927 to 1937. He also conducted many Church Services in the Helen Keller Chapel.

In 1939, Charles Richards became a Life Member of the Deaf Society for his years of contributions to the Deaf Community. He died in 1970 at the age of 82.